Own Voices October is a readathon hosted by two lovely ladies on Booktube, Katie and Mel. The month is a celebration of reading Own Voices literature, which is something I am trying to get more of in my own reading. I’m not great at explaining things but Own Voices is a movement to try and read more books from diverse authors representing themselves in fiction in some way. Katie does an amazingly better job at describing it than I ever could so watch this!
I have quite a list of possible books, these are just books I might try to pick up in addition to my Spookathon books! This month I’m trying to read either Spookathon and/or Own Voices. I’m sure along the way I’ll slip something else in but that’s my priority. I also have a few books that I have super high on the TBR. I’ve bolded these hoping it’ll keep me on track. I’d love to review at least a few of these for the site.
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secret of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz (my one and only reread on this list)
- Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
- We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
- Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- Out by Natsuo Kirino
- The Turner House by Angela Flournoy
- Before We Visit The Goddess by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- The Silent Dead by Tetsuya Honda
- The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
- This Side of Home by Renee Watson
- Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor
- The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
- On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
There are a few more I’m still trying to find copies of in easy access and as always these are just… ideas for me. I’m terrible at TBRs but these are some of the ones I’ve put on my list/in my piles to read! More suggestions would be great, and any opinions on these would be welcome as well!